Our company is creating a new kind of energy company. Traditional Retail Electricity Providers are outdated, opaque, and painful for customers to engage with. We are using software driven solutions to create an entirely new way of doing business in this space and build a category defining company. Our mission is to give energy customers greater transparency and control while creating a cheaper, cleaner, more reliable electricity grid.
Our success will depend on aggregating and analyzing data to properly dispatch and manage users’ assets (such as battery storage, HVAC, and solar) in real-time energy markets to provide the customer with the most value possible. We are looking for an experienced Data Engineer who can spearhead the development of our data/ETL pipelines as well as some basic machine learning algorithms.
The ideal candidate will be a passionate and hands on leader who wants to build the foundations of a world class software organization. We want someone with an innate curiosity who would enjoy getting up to speed on energy quickly in order to approach this sector in a new way.
As a Senior Data Engineer, you will be creating an energy management platform that is a first of its kind. The role reports to the CTO and will be located at our HQ in our Brooklyn, NY offices.
- Participate in the design and implementation of all data science initiatives including ETL/data pipeline building and machine learning/forecasting systems.
- Build models and programs to predict building demand and onsite energy generation through analysis of data from building management system, weather, and other similar systems to aid in reducing energy consumption.
- Oversee set up and maintenance of backend cloud infrastructure.
- Work cross-functionally with business teams. Collaborate with product to decompose requirements into technical tasks.
- Assist in writing algorithms to properly dispatch assets such as batteries based on energy market signals and predicted user energy demand.
- Unify data from building systems, sensors, APIs, and other sources; design and build a database solution for analyzing key performance indicators (KPIs) in the energy sector.
- Be cognizant of cost-of-service models to understand the financial cost of serving our customers, identify ways to drive efficiencies from our stack.
- Own engineering process to maximize velocity and code quality. Define the engineering organization, best practices, estimation, manage technical risk and debt, and own project management for the data/ML team.
- Recruit, mentor, inspire and develop engineering teams in New York. Set goals and manage the performance of the overall ML team
- 4+ years experience as a Data Engineer
- Industry experience applying ML algorithms
- Strong Communication and Interpersonal skills
- Passion for designing and delivering mission critical code and products
- BS in Computer Science or Applied Math
- Preferred Qualifications:
- MS/PhD in Computer Science or Applied Math
- Strong network in the NYC tech scene and ability to use relationships to recruit great talent
- Familiar with or able to learn quickly about building systems and IoT sensors, their data, and analysis of it (HVAC, occupancy, temperature, energy meters, etc.)
- Accountability-minded. Can create a culture of healthy accountability in the team. Can balance code quality and speed to market. Been through a startup before